Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Uh Oh

I've noticed a slight tingling in my feet the past several days and when I sit still, the heels of my feet go numb. I googled these symptoms and everything came back DIABETES. My grandfather had diabetes and lost a leg. Apparently, diabetes results from bad diet and lack of exercise, but he was a very active and trim man and even though I've gained weight, I still go on long walks every day. Today I walked for nearly two hours and I'm a fast walker--no one is ever able to keep up with me. I think what this means is that I need to make drastic changes in my diet, definitely more fruits and vegetables. I need to get my boyfriend on board with this because we eat the same food. His father suffered from diabetes and heart problems too, although it was cancer that finally did him in. I'm sure these problems are not unrelated and since my boyfriend is the spitting image of his father in every respect, I know that he is at risk for his father's diseases. I can't bear the thought of losing him like his mother lost her husband at such a young age. We need to make changes now!

No comments: