Thursday, December 7, 2006

A further thought

When I wrote "dirt poor" in the last entry, it prompted me to think about how poor people in America tend to be fatter because fatty foods are cheaper than healthy stuff. You could feed a large family for $10 at Taco Bell. (On a side note, ever since I've come back to America I am astounded every time I go to the supermarket because the fruits and veggies are so expensive and tasteless and the selection is terrible! No wonder people don't eat healthy here! Israel may be an evil zionist regime, but their agricultural produce is fantastic and the people glow with good health. It's all about the olives, tomatoes, and oranges). But I digress. Writing the previous entry caused me to remember that in my house we didn't have a working oven or freezer and that the refrigerator kinda worked, the microwave kinda worked and we had one burner to cook on. And we never used the kitchen sink. We didn't have proper dishes; only paper plates and disposable utensils so there would be nothing to wash. It all sounds so glamorous, no? We ate fast-food almost every night and on days that we didn't we ate Ramen noodles. I grew up with a taste for fast-food and even today I hate to cook and I eat out whenever possible, although I try to make healthier choices now. I think it's not so much that I "got fat", but that my metabolism finally caught up with the bad eating habits I had been brought up with. My high school boyfriend was even poorer. When the welfare check came in his family would eat like kings for a couple of days and the rest of the time they at 20cent frozen burritos. That family was actually hungry. My boyfriend always had a lean, hungry look on his face and since the parents were really negligent the boys often had to fend for themselves and find their own food. It was really sad. They couldn't even get fat on fast-food, they were that poor.

No comments: